I came into the field of mental health care with a desire to make a positive contribution to the well being of people and the world within which we live.
I believe passionately that therapy can make a difference. I offer a space where people will be appreciated and heard as they share their concerns.
I want to support clients in a meaningful and trusting therapeutic relationship which I hope will provide the kind of basis which can lead clients to a healthier and more satisfying place in their life.
My aim is to provide a comfortable and relaxing environment where you will be welcomed with warmth and respect.
Please find an overview of some of my experience and qualifications.
With over thirty years experience as a counsellor and psychotherapist, I am registered with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
I am an EMDR accredited therapist and a member of the EMDR Association of UK and Ireland. Click the link
for more information.
I work to a strict code of professional ethics and practice in association with the Scarborough Psychotherapy Training Institute (SCPTI).
I meet regularly with a supervisor to discuss aspects of my work.
I also have indemnity insurance cover and as a professional requirement have been CRB checked.
I have recently retired from my role as a clinical supervisor with the local NHS mental health trust.
• Master of Education in Counselling (MEd)
• Post Graduate Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (UKCP Registered Psychotherapist)
• Post Graduate Advanced Diploma in Counselling
• EMDR Accredited Therapist
• Post Graduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision
• Registered General Nurse (RGN)
• Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN)
• Certificate in Transactional Analysis
• Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
• Certificate in Family Systems Therapy
• Interpersonal Therapist (IPT) trained
• I am a student of the Diamond Approach with the Ridhwan School UK. Click link for more information.
Counselling Hull / Psychotherapy Hull
In my practice I am very committed to my professional development which is an ongoing journey and I continue to attend various training events throughout each year. My awareness and understanding is enriched by my commitment to reading and my membership of different peer groups which are associated with psychotherapy and spiritual awareness.
I enjoy contact with my environment and have a special interest in being with nature. I love to cycle or walk either in the company of others or in solitude. Gardening, meditation, music, reading and family also play an important part in my life.
Stephen Derrick - Therapy and Counselling in Hull